F rom t eam m em b e r to
t ea m l ea d e r
What are you letting yourself in for?
Organisations constantly give people their first line management role
because the individual has been identified as being good at their day job, not
necessarily being good with people. People skills are a very different skillset to
process and tasks. Managing people can be the best job in the world, or the
worst. No-one tells you what it’s like until you find out for yourself. ‘You’ll be
fine’ is all you may get.
This programme is your opportunity to find out in advance what you might
be letting yourself in for and whether it’s right for you – whether at this
stage in your career, a bit later, or perhaps never. This can save you and
your organisation time, effort and heartache. You will build your personal
management profile throughout the day to understand your brand as a
LEARNING OBJECTIVES INCLUDE:
• Understand the role of the manager
• Appreciate the challenges in stepping up
• Understand that management isn’t a popularity contest!
• Learn about different management styles
• Be able to hold difficult conversations
• Know how to set expectations for your new team
• Explore motivations – yours and your team
• Understand the balance between doing and managing
• Know how to manage yourself
1 What’s it all about then?
2 Do I have the skills?
3 Creating the right environment
4 The challenges ahead
5 Review – do you still want to manage
6 The first 30 days
7 Next steps / action plan