18 | OCTOBER 2018
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (gas mark 4). Line a
bun tray with paper or foil cases. Sift together the fl our, baking
powder, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until
light and fl uffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with
each addition, then stir in the vanilla. Add the fl our mixture
alternately with the milk; beat well. Fill the paper cups 3/4's
3. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a
skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
1. In a bowl beat butter until fl uffy. Gradually add half of the
icing sugar, beating well.
2. Slowly beat in the half of the milk and the vanilla. Slowly
beat in remaining sugar. Beat in additional milk, if needed, to
make of spreading consistency.
3. Place the icing in an icing bag or a plastic bag with the
corner cut off. Pipe the icing onto the cooled cupcakes as
pictured, leaving an eye shape in the middle. In the middle of
the exposed eye shape on each cupcake, pipe two dots in
the middle for the mummy's eyes. Place chocolate chips fl at
side up in the middle of each dot for pupils.
• 175g (6oz) plain fl our
• 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 75g (3oz) cocoa powder
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 3 tablespoons butter,
• 300g (11oz) caster sugar
• 2 eggs
• 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 250ml (8 fl oz) milk
• 75g butter
• 550g sifted icing sugar
• 4 tablespoons milk
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
• 32 chocolate chips